Kahoot! is a hoot, and the kids think so too! This is the one tool that was repeatedly asked for when I was a classroom teacher. Now that I am an elementary school librarian, it is still a viable and effective tool to utilize during my library instruction.
Kahoot! is a free online program that can be used in a school or business setting or even for personal use via a computer or app. The Kahoot! platform presents learning in a game-based trivia format. There are premade games or you have the opportunity to create your own game to personalize the experience.
Signing up for Kahoot! is easy and will really add some excitement to your class. So, how exactly would you use Kahoot! in the library? One great thing about Kahoot! is they are thinking about everyone who might use their tool, even librarians! Kahoot! interview Sarah, a librarian from Massachusetts, to see how she used it in her library. In the interview, Sarah stated that she was able to find kahoots created by other librarians about a variety of topics, such as Caldecott Awards and the Dewey Decimal System. You could also use Kahoot! to review library procedures or review authors you have studied. The possibilities are really endless. Click here to be taken to a page where you can play some library specific games on your own.
Here is a wonderful presentation created by Danielle Apfelbaum who is a librarian:

Melissa, I also posted about Kahoot! From your post, specifically the first video, I started thinking about how Kahoot is not strictly for students. I think Kahoot would be a great tool to engage adults in a professional development, meeting, etc. Just like Kahoot brings excitement into the classroom or library for kids, it could help adults be more engaged and interested in the topic at hand.
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
ReplyDeleteI also posted about Kahoot! I think that as teachers and librarians, Kahoot! is an great way to present information, review that information and even a great way to assess in a formative way. My students love using Kahoot! and it is a great way to engage them in active learning. Thanks for the great link to interview with Sarah, it was very informative.
I loved using Kahoot in the classroom, Melissa, but I never used the pre-made Kahoots, mostly because they did not suit my content specifically. Often, though, at the end of the year or when I only had a few kids in the classroom for whatever reason, the students would locate a Kahoot for us to play - they loved the ones on brands and recognizing pop culture. I love the way you can use images, it engages a lot of students!
ReplyDeleteMelissa- I typed "library skills" in Kahoot! and got over 8,000 results! I think this would be a great way to introduce a library skill or just a fun way for students to learn about the library and use their iPads at the same time!
ReplyDelete